In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
Welcome dear curious reader. Whether you’re a Muslim or not, it is anticipated that you will learn much from this endeavour. Sadly, Islam is still largely misunderstood by much of the population. Thus, we took the initiative to tell you the TRUTH about Islam.
Islam is one of the world’s major religions, followed by approximately 1.7 billion people and growing. About 1 in 5 people in the world follow Islam.
Islam, like other Abrahamic Faiths, teaches the belief in One God. However, Islam is 100% monotheistic, that is, we believe God is The One, The Eternal, The Creator, who doesn’t have any partners or family or children, and God alone deserves to be worshipped. We also believe that God (Allah) sent many prophets and messengers and revealed books to guide us. We also believe in Adam, Abraham, Noah, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (upon them be peace). Muhammad (upon him be peace) is the final Messenger of Allah, and the Qur’an (Koran) is the final revealed book of Guidance for all mankind.
All the prophets of Allah called to the same message: to worship The One True God (Allah) only, with sincerity and without making any partners, idols or rivals.
Islam means to submit your will to God (Allah), with sincerity, and in peace. Followers of Islam are called Muslims. Islam is a complete way of life. It influences everything including: worship, food, dress-code, relationships, interactions, business, health, money, law and order, life and death.
Muslims believe in an afterlife, that is, there will be a judgement, heaven and hell. We believe that our ancient enemy, Satan, is constantly plotting our downfall and encouraging disobedience to God. We can fight the Satan away by remembering Allah frequently. As humans, we make mistakes, so we always ask Allah to forgive us. We acknowledge we aren’t perfect, but have to try our best to do good and keep away from sins.
We believe our purpose in life is to worship Allah alone, following the example of the prophet Muhammad (upon him be peace).
The prophet Muhammad peace be upon him stressed the importance of excellent moral conduct and principles. Some of these key values are sincerity, patience, strength, dedication, cooperation in good, consideration, removal of evil, educating oneself and others, upholding the family, and establishing justice with EVERYONE, whoever they may be.
Here are some more details:
1. Allah-The Supreme Creator and Lord of all creation. The One True God worthy of worship. Allah is the Eternal, uncreated Creator. He is One, Self-sufficient, independent from and separate from His creation. Allah does not have any partners or children. There is nothing like Allah. Allah is the All-Knowing, All-Seeing, All-Hearing, Provider, Cherisher, Sustainer and Originator of the universe. It is essential to affirm the Oneness of Allah in His Lordship, His names and attributes and His exclusive right to be worshipped without partners or associates.
You can find a superb description of Allah in chapter 112 of the Qur’an:
2. Islam– Means submission to the will of the One Supreme Creator of the universe known as ‘Allah’ or The One True God.
3. Muslim- One who submits his/her will to the Will of Allah. The purpose in life is to worship Allah, not because He needs us (remember He is Self-Sufficient, Self-Subsisting) but because we need Him. It is in everyone’s natural disposition to recognise Allah’s Lordship and His right to be worshipped exclusively.
4.Messengers and prophets– Allah did not leave creation without guidance. He sent prophets and messengers, who were human beings, to warn their nations and remind them to worship Allah alone. We believe in Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus among others, peace be upon them all. Incidentally, we believe Jesus was born from the virgin Mary, miraculously without a father. Jesus is not the son of God, because God (Allah) is One, without partners, associates or children. Humans and created beings have children, and God is unlike His creation! Therefore, we respect and believe in Jesus peace be upon him as a messenger of God who never claimed divinity, but rather, he called to the worship of The One True God (Allah) alone without partners.
5. Scriptures and revealed books– Allah sent the messengers with scriptures to guide the people to come back to the worship of One True God alone. We believe in the original scriptures, such as the Torah, Psalms and Gospel (the current day versions have been altered by man over time and are thus no longer in the original form). All the messengers and prophets (peace be upon them all) professed Islamic Monotheism. The previous messengers were sent with revelations for their people at their times. Thereafter, Allah sent a final messenger to guide,remind and warn us.
6. The Final prophet and messenger and final book of revelation– Allah sent the final prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the last messenger after whom no new messenger will be sent to mankind. Allah revealed the final book of revelation,The Qur’an, to the prophet Muhammad, who conveyed this to his people. The Qur’an is the verbatim words of Allah.
The miracle is that the Qur’an has been preserved from change since its revelation over 1400 years ago, as Allah guaranteed to guard it from corruption.
Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur’an) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption) .
[Qur’an, 15:9- English interpretation]
The message Muhammad was sent with and the final revealed book (The Qur’an) abrogates all other books and laws before it. Muhammad peace be upon him also called to the Oneness of God and called people to worship Allah alone without partners (Islamic Monotheism), the same message of the previous prophets. The prophet Muhammad came with Islam, and the Qur’an, and this is the message all nations after him are to follow, as commanded by Allah. Indeed, it is through obeying God (Allah) that we hope to attain eternal bliss in the afterlife.
To be continued… Next page