1. Recitation of the Qur’an with reflection and understanding of its meaning.
2. Seeking closeness to Allah by performing voluntary deeds after obligatory ones, for that leads one to the highest levels of love.
3. Remembering Allah in every situation by one’s time, heart and deeds. One’s share of that love is to the degree of one’s share with that remembrance.
4. Preferring what He loves to what you love when your desires are strong.
5. Allowing your heart to reflect on His Names and Attributes.
6. Reflecting on His many favours and blessings both the apparent ones and hidden ones, for that leads to His love.
7. Having your heart soften as it is worshipping Allah.
8. Being alone with Him in worship when He descends during the last third of the night. To invoke Him, to recite His speech (Quran), to stand with all sincerity (in prayer) and with good manners and good submission (humility) and to end that with repentance and seeking His forgiveness.
9. Sitting with those who are truthful in their love of Allah.
10. Staying away from all that creates barriers between the heart and Allah.
Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم to mankind): “If you (really) love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur’an and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Qur’an chapter 3 verse 31]
May Allah enable us to be of those whom He loves and is pleased with, and those who practise what we preach, ya Salam, ya Rabb al alameen! Allahumma salli wasallim alaa nabiyinaa Muhammad!